Thursday, February 25, 2021

Synic Selects Vol. XI - Girls, Girls, Girls

 This is a fun one I had written down for quite some time now. Let's be real, everyone who has ever heard a song has sat with friends and listed all the songs they could think of whose titles contained a woman's name. Whole Lotta Rosie, Come On Eileen, etc. etc. But have you ever sat down with a pad and pen, and listed all your favorite songs whose titles are ONLY the girl's name? If you haven't, good news! I did it for you. If you have, bad news! You're a loser with too much time on your hands just like your old pal Synic. At least you don't refer to yourself as "your old pal Synic." At least, I hope you don't... Referring to yourself in the third person is weird enough, let alone referring to yourself in the third person while also using my name instead of yours... Has this compilation intro gotten weird enough for you? Or should I derail it even further with a couple rhetorical questions?

Anywho, this month's Selects took form pretty quickly at first, I had probably half of them written down almost immediately. Getting enough to fill an album's worth took a little longer, I had to dig into the depths of my music knowledge to pull out 6-7 more songs that were just a girl's name... So without further ado, and no more word vomit, here it is: Synic Selects Vol. XI - Girls, Girls, Girls


1. Jane - Jefferson Airplane

This song takes the spot as album opener because it was the very first one I had written down. In fact, this is the song that inspired the theme for this month's Selects. The truth is, I don't love Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, or Starship. But I do really love this song.


2. Amanda - Boston

This was the second one I came up with. Boston is one of my first loves. Back in my youth when I only listened to classic rock, my favorite bands were Styx and Boston. Now that I've mentioned Styx, it just occurred to me that I don't have "Lorelei" included on this list... Oops.


3. Jenny - Tommy Tutone

This is probably an obvious one, no? It's the first song people come up with when they think of one-hit-wonders. People may give me a hard time because it's technically called "Jenny (867-5309)" but if we wrote it shorthand and dropped the parenthesis, it's just "Jenny." So, on a technicality, I'm counting it.


4. Melanie - "Weird Al" Yankovic

If you've read my blog before and you're still surprised to see "Weird Al" on here, get your brain examined. He played this at the first concert I've ever been to, and it's been one of my favorite deep-cuts of his ever since.


5. Suzie Q - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Fogerty should go down as one of the all-time greats. Maybe this is not his best work, but it is a hit nevertheless. At the end of the day, even the not-so-great Fogerty songs are still Fogerty songs, and therefore they are still great. Also, if your name is Suzie, then you have probably heard this song.


6. Tulane - Chuck Berry (Honorable Mention - Joan Jett)

Full disclosure, I heard the Joan Jett cover before I heard the original version of this. But the same is true for many of Joan's songs... But more on that later. Even further disclosure, I think I must've heard this song about 15 times before I realized Tulane was a girl's name.


7. Lucille - Little Richard

Having Berry without Richard just seems wrong. Together they re-invented rock n roll, and Lucille is one of Richard's many masterpieces.


8. Carrie - Europe

I had to get some of my hair metal on here, didn't I? Okay, maybe Europe is on the pop end of the hair metal spectrum, but they're there aren't they? And truth be told, I really like this song.


9. Gloria - Laura Branigan

Did you forget this woman existed? Did you ever know she existed? As a kid I thought this was her only song, turns out she has multiple albums. Who knew? I didn't. But this woman can SING, dude. And this track is a slapping family favorite that deserves a place on this list.


10. Helena - My Chemical Romance

Truth be told, I'm a little embarrassed to include this one. They are the kings of emo, and I was never into emo. At all. But they do have a handful of good songs, and this happens to be one of them.


11. Grace - Supergrass

To lighten things up after the brief dive into emo, who better than my favorite brit-pop-rock band Supergrass? To think I almost got to see them last summer... *tear* Anyway, this song is among my favorites of theirs, so it belongs here.


12. Rosanna - Toto

This is a fun little jam from back in the day, that you'll likely hear if you play a classic rock station for a while. "Rosanna" is 50% of the lasting hits that Toto came out with, and admittedly I had to look up the other hit because I always get these guys confused with Asia (the "Africa" people.)


13. Minnie The Moocher - Cab Calloway

Another one that you might argue with me on, as "The Moocher" isn't part of the girl's name. But if people refer to her as Minnie The Moocher, then that is her title, or another name for her, so I'm counting it. And I would be embarrassed if I had a music blog any longer without mentioning the late great Cab Calloway.


BONUS: Lorelei - Styx

...Oops.


So, there you have it. My list of all my favorite Girl's-name-titled-songs. Feel free to add more if there are any that I missed that deserve a spot. That's the beauty of playlists, isn't it? They're for everyone, and they're never truly finished.


Synic Selects Vol. XI - Girls, Girls, Girls

1. Jane - Jefferson Airplane

2. Amanda - Boston

3. Jenny - Tommy Tutone

4. Melanie - "Weird Al" Yankovic

5. Suzie Q - Creedence Clearwater Revival

6. Tulane - Chuck Berry / Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

7. Lucille - Little Richard

8. Carrie - Europe

9. Gloria - Laura Branigan

10. Helena - My Chemical Romance

11. Grace - Supergrass

12. Rosanna - Toto

13. Minnie The Moocher - Cab Calloway

Bonus: Lorelei - Styx

2 comments:

  1. A's additions: Victoria by The Kinks and Gloria by Van Morrison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 great songs! Definitely worthy of a place on the playlist. Thanks for reading

      Delete