Tuesday, February 23, 2021

At Mercy's Edge - Joseph Parsons

 Hey guys, hard to believe it's been a full week since my last post. Time has really been flying past me lately; since starting a new job, and celebrating a birthday this past weekend, I haven't really been able to stop and think about much else. But I think it's high time I return to my first love: music.

How's that for a cliche opening? Anyway, today I have the joy of sinking my teeth into the newest offering At Mercy's Edge from Joseph Parsons. Parsons is no stranger to the music business, and that much is made perfectly clear immediately upon diving into this new record. The LP opens with "Greed On Fire," a folky rock track that reminds me of a cross between Springsteen and Hootie and The Blowfish. The music and mixing is very Bruce to me, while I find something in the sound of his voice, especially when he holds a note, even more specifically on a vowel, that reminds me very much of Darius Rucker. Is it working? Why yes, yes I believe it is.

Moving forward, the record only gets more sonically interesting from here. The second track is a little groovier than the first, and reminds me of a more danceable Dire Straits, rather than Springsteen & Rucker. "I fuckin' love that." Track 3 returns to the Springsteen/Rucker sound, but it is much slower and bluesier than the album opener. The lyrics are the shining star on this track, they remind me of some of the great American songwriters such as Cash and Petty, and being delivered in a bluesy folk style helps put Parsons' range on full display. He certainly is no one-trick-pony.

Later tracks illustrate this point even further, as the song "Last One In" can only be described as what should be the end credits song from a Tarantino western. Unusual point to make in a review, I know, but listen to it and I think you'll see what I mean.

My biggest drawback from this album, though, is the rise and fall of it. The first 5 tracks are each unique, interesting, danceable and just engaging. The last 5 are a total 180 from this. Tracks 6, 7, and 8 are ballads, Track 9 is more upbeat with an almost interesting groove, but it is seemingly filler and is lost among the ballads. Track 10 is the title track, but it is another ballad. My reader's know that I am not the biggest fan of ballads, but I do believe they have their place on an album. But I'm not sure how I feel about piling them all in together one after another. People often say a great album should rise and fall, but I'm not sure I agree. I would have it rise, dip a little, and rise up again. Were this an entry in my record collection, I certainly would play it, but I'm not sure I would flip it over and play Side B.

Don't let me be misunderstood, the man can write, he can play, and he can sing. He's proved that fact time and time again. But I would've considered restructuring the record's tracklist, and kicking up the tempo a bit.


AT MERCY'S EDGE | Joseph Parsons

At Mercy's Edge - Joseph Parsons

10 - 30 - 2020


1. Greed on Fire

2. Changes Everything

3. Nerve

4. Madness

5. Trouble Zone

6. Last One In

7. One More

8. Living with the Top Down

9. Mule Train

10. Mercy's Edge


Favorite Track: Changes Everything

Least Favorite Track: One More

No comments:

Post a Comment