Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Bed, Me and You - The Mellowdees

 Thank you all for the continued, overwhelming support. If you emailed me with a request some weeks ago, I want you to know that you are not forgotten about, I'm trying to take the care and time that each of your requests deserves, but I also have a lot going on outside of this blog. So I apologize for any and all delays, I'm getting to your song/EP/album as soon as I can, I promise.

Today I have the joy of looking at the newest album from The Mellowdees, an Indie Folk group from Rome, Italy. What I appreciate about this record is something I rarely see in the music world today. Listening to it, it very much feels like a concept album that should be listened to in order, in its entirety. Each song shares a similar tone that creates an immediate feeling within the listener. Picture for me, if you will, a gray and drizzly Sunday morning, you and your significant other are slowly waking up, snuggling in bed, maybe you have coffee and breakfast, maybe you don't. Its a dreary day outside, but it isn't affecting your happiness on the inside. Everything you need in the world is in that bed next to you. That's the feeling I get when listening to this. But the beauty of concept albums is that the feeling you get, depends on you. The mood is unique for each listener, depending on what is going on in their lives at the time. If I listen to this again a year from now, I may hear it differently.

This albums greatest strength, however, could be it's biggest weakness. While I find it a refreshing change of pace to have a conceptual-sounding record, not all music listeners like when every song sounds the same. But what must be appreciated here, is the depth that the artist achieves, even in the songs' seemingly simple sound. The only layers that stand out here are an acoustic guitar and the singer's voice. But they blend beautifully, and are mixed quite excellently. While this does sound simple when you see it in black and white, it's when you listen to it that you can really appreciate the depth of feeling that they achieve here. It is the vocalists solemn, low hum that really serves as the shining star here in conveying the most feeling. Call me crazy, but I even think I can hear some overdubs and harmonies on some tracks such as "Oh, Me Too," and "Did I Already Tell You Today I Want You" that adds to the depth even more.

The big thing I would consider tweaking on this album, is the beginnings and endings of each track. When I listen to this album, I find that because each track is so similar to the next, I actually wish that there was no beginning and end to each song, but rather a beginning and an ending to the album as a whole, and that each of the 8 tracks just blended together seamlessly. Still have the 8 individual titles on there, but have each of them just flow into the next song. I think that by doing that, they would really drive home the concept album feel, and the mood set by each song would never get lost even for a second.


Bed, me and you | the mellowdees

Bed, Me and You - The Mellowdees

12 - 22 - 2020


1. She's Calling Me To Bed

2. Monday, Not Sunday

3. You Lost Something

4. Hair Dressed Blue

5. Oh, Me Too

6. Will You Smile At Me

7. Did I Already Tell You Today I Want You

8. Stay And Sleep


Favorite Track: Did I Already Tell You Today I Want You

Least Favorite Track: Oh, Me Too

No comments:

Post a Comment