Monday, July 20, 2020

Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park

Ladies and gentlemen, as far as I'm concerned there are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who have heard and liked/loved Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory
2. Those who don't like music

Linkin Park's Earth-rattling debut arrived in 2000, and while nu-metal had already been around for a few years by that time, Hybrid Theory brought the sub-genre into the new millennium, revolutionizing the way to blend between metal and rap. While the true credit for inventing nu-metal may belong to Korn, I personally, as well as millions of others, credit Linkin Park for launching it into the stratosphere.

Today is the anniversary of the tragic passing of beloved frontman Chester Bennington. Chester was a man who struggled his entire life with inner demons, but with those demons he taught us that a truly beautiful soul can still be a damaged one. Upon making it into the music business, Chester was able to use his pains and struggles to fuel his songwriting. Consider their hit song "Crawling" as an example. Many of you may remember jamming and head-banging to it when it debuted 20 years ago. Many of you (myself included) still do to this day. But have you ever stopped to think what it's about? Essentially Chester is blaming himself, or taking the full credit, for all of his internal pain and hurt. He said said in interviews before that he never says the word "you" in the song once. It's all about himself, and his pain. Considering this, along with the lyrics to all of their other songs that he wrote himself, it becomes clear to us that Chester was a damaged and depressed soul. It's deeply heartbreaking to know that the world didn't see it until it was too late.

If you or someone you know and love is struggling with their own inner demons, remind them that they are loved and valued in this world. And no amount of hardships or internal pain is worth taking your own life.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
 1-800-273-8255

Hybrid Theory is often regarded as the best debut record in the last 20 years, and one of the best debuts of all time. I sit here writing this, scratching my head trying to come up with a record that can compete with Hybrid Theory, but I simply can't. This record revolutionized the sub-genre of nu-metal. It brought in from the 90's into the 2000's. Will Chester go down in history as one of the best singer-songwriter-screamers of all time? Most likely. Will Mike Shinoda go down in history as one of the best singer-songwriter-rapper-guitarist-keyboardists of all time? That's awfully specific, so maybe/maybe not. Will any of the other guys in the band be regarded as the best in history? Certainly not. (No offense, if any of you guys somehow end up reading this.) However, it isn't the level of their talent that matters here; it's how they used those talents, and how they applied them.

The record opens with early fan-favorite "Papercut," and fans are first introduced to the verses of rapper Mike Shonoda, and we are not exposed to the screaming singing talents of Chester Bennington until the first chorus. And while rap and metal are two very different genres, this transition from Shinoda's rap to Bennington's abrasive screams comes seamlessly. Almost like the two genres were two distant islands, and Linkin Park finally found the bridge between the two.

This is a disc that may be one of the few that I label as a damn-near perfect record. It accomplishes everything that a good debut should, and much more. It introduces you to the band, their sound, their message, who they are. As I've already said a couple times now, it also revolutionized nu-metal and brought it into the new millennium. But that's the last time I'll make that point, as I'm sure you're sick of reading it by now. Hell, I'm sick of typing it.

I could really nit-pick if you asked me to, maybe discuss what I think could've been done differently in each song, but that would be a very short discussion. The only thing I can really surely say without getting super deep into it, is that I would not have included "Cure For The Itch" on this record. Maybe it could've been used in their live performances, or maybe what I would've done is shorten it by about half, and use it as an extended intro for one of their rap-heavy tracks. Something about the electronic 'instrumental' just takes me out of the record, and almost loses me.

And of course, no album is without filler. This disc is no exception, as it does contain a few filler tracks, yet they are still excellent tracks that showcase the band's talents, and their voice. I would argue that among these 'filler' tracks - and keep in mind I'm using the term "filler" VERY loosely here - are the songs "By Myself," "A Place For My Head," and "Pushing Me Away." Now before you read this and attack me for calling out your favorite song as a filler track, keep in mind that it is simply my opinion that these tracks are not as strong as some of the others. When every track on an album is great, you really have to dig deep to pick which ones are the "filler" songs. Remember that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. I'm just the asshole with the keyboard.

I can go into every track on this album, break it down, talk about what makes each one great, but before I let this post get absurdly long I want to introduce someone who I have certainly talked about on this blog before, one of my favorite people on this Earth, Kim Scroggins. During the week of her birthday, I had started to think about Chester a lot, and she reminded me that the anniversary of his death was approaching. That was when we had the idea to discuss Hybrid Theory, and I asked her to write her own personal account of the album, as it was a massive part of her life growing up. While I love this record whole-heartedly, she truly cherishes it, and she would not be the person she is now without it.

Below is Kim's recollection of her first exposure to Linkin Park. What you are about to read is as emotional as this blog may ever get, so bring a tissue before you dive in. And a special heart-felt thanks to our first ever guest author.

---------------------

My relationship with Chester Bennington dates back to 2001 when I first heard…no…saw the music video for In The End on VH1 as I was getting ready for school. 
As a fresh-faced 13-year-old coming off the Hanson/Spice Girl bandwagon, Linkin Park’s sound was something I had never quite heard before; and I wanted to devour every bit of it. Of course, those were still the days where I had to ask my parent’s permission before I could spend my hard-earned money! (Not only did I have to ask if it was ok that I bought a *gasp* nu-metal album; but my dad watched the music video himself first in order to deem them appropriate.) 
Once I had Hybrid Theory within my grasp, my whole life changed. Chester wasn’t just my introduction into the rock/metal world; he was the shaper of my universe, the first musical love of my life. I immediately became enthralled by his range, in love with his throatiness and for the first time, I felt like someone got me. Every song was a masterpiece…at least for me. He opened the door to what it was like to have music move you in ways I never thought possible. To this day, he still gives me goosebumps. 
I could sit here for hours trying to convince you how I was Linkin Park’s biggest fan (until Minutes to Midnight – that album wrecked them for me). I could tell you about the posters I had lining my walls and ceiling, how I was part of their Fanclub Linkin Park Underground and donned all the merch, how I owned every album and LP that came out until Minutes to Midnight…but that all pales in comparison to the torch I hold for Chester Bennington. 
When I heard of his death, I sobbed. I cried as though I lost a family member because to me – he was. He was my protective big brother telling me that even when life wasn’t always kind to me, it would be OK in the end. He let me know that it was OK to make mistakes, to make choices that you aren’t necessarily proud of…if you own them and learn from them. He showed me it was OK to be me.

I may no longer reach for Hybrid Theory as a first-choice listen, but whenever it plays I am taken right back to my younger days and everything seems a bit brighter.
So thank you Chester, for not only bringing kick ass music into the world; but for being the savior and spokesperson for all us teen outcasts. In the End, you will always matter. 
----------------------

Hybrid Theory - Wikipedia

Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park
10 - 24 - 2000

1. Papercut
2. One Step Closer
3. With You
4. Points of Authority
5. Crawling
6. Runaway
7. By Myself
8. In The End
9. A Place For My Head
10. Forgotten
11. Cure For The Itch
12. Pushing Me Away

Synic's Favorite: Papercut
Synic's Least Favorite: A Place For My Head
Synic's Rating: 9.2/10

Kim's 2000 Favorite: In The End
Kim's 2000 Least Favorite: Crawling
Kim's 2000 Rating: 9.5/10

Kim's 2020 Favorite: With You
Kim's 2020 Least Favorite: Crawling
Kim's 2020 Rating: 9/10

1 comment: