Friday, July 31, 2020

CMFT Must Be Stopped - Corey Taylor

Hey guys. I was gonna wait to do this one until after the full album was released, but I just couldn't help myself. I had to do it now. Corey Taylor (someone I've talked about on here before, of Slipknot & Stone Sour fame) has been teasing his first solo record for quite some time now, and at this point he has released the first two singles from it. CMFT Must Be Stopped, and Black Eyes Blue, or Blue Eyes Black, one or the other. I don't remember.

And that's exactly my issue.

"B___ Eyes B____" was the second single I heard, granted I don't know if it was released first or second, but it was the second that I heard myself. I wanted to talk about this one first because, well, I really don't have much to say about it. It's a power ballad. I guess. Thing is, I don't know what I expected from a Corey Taylor ballad, maybe something Stone Sour-esque? And I suppose that's kinda  almost what we got? I don't really know. Full disclosure, I stopped the song when I was just over a minute into it. It's just forgettable. Not a strong single to lead with, in my opinion.

The first single I heard was CMFT Must Be Stopped. This song is, to put it the simplest way that I can, bad. It's a nu-metal style anthem featuring two rappers and a whole roster of rocker cameos in its music video. Why the lead singer of Slipknot would want to feature two rappers in a song is beyond me. Also, aren't we beyond writing a rock anthem entirely about yourself? It almost sounds as if  90's Eminem wrote lyrics for a Papa Roach song, and the result is.... well as bad as an Eminem and Papa Roach marriage sounds.

The only thing about these two singles that I actually enjoyed is the title of the latter. Because if this is the kind of material fans can expect from a solo Corey Taylor, then he certainly must be stopped.

Look for CMFT (or don't, because God knows I won't) available everywhere music is sold October 2nd.


Favorite Song: N/A
Least Favorite Song: Porque no los dos?
Rating: 3.6

No comments:

Post a Comment