Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Synic's Spotlight: Volume II - September Mourning

This is something truly special. This is a record that I've been listening to like it's my goddamn job for months now, but it never occurred to me to write about it until now. This week, the spotlight shines brightly on Volume II, the confusingly-titled first full-length LP from pop-metal group September Mourning.

Let me say, that these guys are way too damn good for you to not know who they are. (Unless you do know who they are, in which case I wish you had told me about them a long time ago.) Their sound and stage presence reminds me a lot of In This Moment, but frontwoman September (by day known as Emily Lazar) brings something entirely different to the table. She quite literally transforms herself into the character of September on stage every night. And when I say character, I (again quite literally) mean character. For Emily Lazar also has her own comic out by the title of September Mourning, in which she herself is the main character. If this group ever finds big mainstream success like they deserve, with their genius marketing they could be as widespread and well-known as KISS. Though hopefully less greedy and generally awful.

Now when I say their sound is similar to that of ITM, what I mean is the heavy instrumentation and driving rhythm section. To some degree, September's vocal style is also similar to Maria Brink's, but with less variation in technique and range. Not that that is a bad thing, though, as not everyone likes screaming. So I guess what I would say is, September Mourning's brand of pop-metal is a more palatable metal for those of you out there who aren't really metal fans. And for those of you out there who still think that metal is "just angry" or "scary," grow up.

In short, September Mourning is definitely a group worth checking out if you're looking for something new to get into. And when you find the time, I highly recommend checking out their comic book and live videos of the group on stage. Then maybe you'll get bitten by the bug like I did.

Vol. 2 | September Mourning CD | EMP

Volume II - September Mourning
7 - 29 - 2016

1. The Collection
2. Angels To Dust
3. Eye Of The Storm
4. Before The Fall
5. Children Of Fate
6. Skin And Bones
7. 20 Below
8. Heart Can Hold
9. Superhuman
10. Live Like You're Alive
11. Stand By Me
12. 'Til You See Heaven

Favorite Track: Superhuman
Least Favorite Track: Stand By Me

No comments:

Post a Comment