Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Synic's Spotlight: Fight The Good Fight - The Interrupters

Has it really been a week since my last post? Man, where does the time go? Really? The past week flew by for me. Partially because I've been horribly busy with things less important to me than music and this blog, and partially because a friend introduced me to a new band that I have been listening to nonstop since their first note resonated through my eardrums. The Interrupters. For fans of punk, rock, ska, jazz, pop, look no further. These guys (and girl) have it all.

This group only has three albums to date, and what a great trilogy those albums make. Their sound does not waiver from record to record in the slightest, with the newer record sounding just like a continuation of its predecessor. That's why it was hard for me to decide which of the three I wanted to discuss. While I do love debut records, I figured I should try to keep things as relevant as possible and look at their newest effort: Fight The Good Fight. Released in 2018, this record has everything fans new and old loved about the previous two records. Fun riffs, jazzy horns, popping percussion, and catchy lyrics with anthemic choruses. (I also learned while writing this that the record will be celebrating it's second birthday in a couple weeks.)

While listening to the album as I write this, I find myself thinking that it will be difficult to pick a favorite and least favorite track. In many ways, keeping your sound consistent is very much appreciated by fans, in that if you like one song, you like them all. (I.E. me and AC/DC.) However, it works great until it doesn't work, for those of you out there with questionable music taste that DON'T like AC/DC, the fact that all of their songs sound the same may be annoying or even agitating. And I get that. To some degree, that can be said here for The Interrupters. However, since their debut record only came into the world 4 years prior to their 3rd studio effort, maybe it's simply too early in their career to say they will never change. I think we have a lot yet to hear from The Interrupters, and whether they evolve or stay the same, I'm excited to come along for the ride.

As for my decision of my favorite and least favorite tracks, it will come down to simply which riff makes me feel like dancing the most. (And I hate dancing unless I drink first.) That, combined with which has the most unique lyrics of the rest and which repeats the chorus the most. To me, repeating a chorus over and over again with very short or no verses, is just lazy songwriting. It's either filler, or simply written to be a drunk karaoke bar hit. Either way, this decision will be tough for me this time, as the whole record, hell, the band's entire discography, is just fuckin' fun. When the world reopens and concerts exist again, find me in the audience at one of their shows.

EDIT: My "Favorite Track" decision ultimately boiled down to which song sounded most likely to be in a Tony Hawk game. Go ahead and listen to this album and tell me it DOESN'T make you wanna do a McTwist over a helicopter.

INTERRUPTERS - Fight the Good Fight - Amazon.com Music

Fight The Good Fight - The Interrupters
6 - 29 - 2018

1. Title Holder
2. So Wrong
3. She's Kerosene
4. Leap of Faith
5. Got Each Other (feat. Rancid)
6. Broken World
7. Gave You Everything
8. Not Personal
9. Outrage
10. Rumors and Gossip
11. Be Gone
12. Room with a View

Favorite Track: She's Kerosene
Least Favorite Track: Leap of Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment